Wondering how to pick the right foundation?
Choosing the right foundation can be one of the trickiest jobs until we give you an overall idea how to go about it. So let’s get started:
You’ve to consider 3 things to decide how to choose foundation shade:-
- Skin Type
Starting with the Skin type, the right foundation for your skin would depend on:
1. Normal Skin: – You can use just about any foundation from mineral powder to tinted moisturizer; depending on your required coverage & shade.
2. Dry Skin: – You need the added moisture in your product. The best ones for dry skin are oil-based foundations.Look for words like hydrating & moisturizing while looking for a product for dry skin.
3. Oily Skin:- An oily skin secretes enough oil on its own so use only an oil-free liquid foundation or moisturizers. Use a pressed powder after your liquid foundation to set it right.
4. Aging Skin:- If you notice signs like wrinkles, fine lines & probably a little saggy loose skin, don’t get freaked out and start opting for a heavy coverage foundation. It will just worsen things. Choose a medium coverage product with light reflecting pigments that will make you glow naturally.
5. Acne Prone skin: – Go for ones which have ‘salicylic acid’ listed in their ingredients as this will keep your pores & frequent breakouts at bay & also make sure it is an oil-free product, though it can be powder or liquid.
Choose your shade by matching the color to your jawline: Since it’s between your face and neck (the two places that the foundation should match), it’s your best bet. If the shades of your face & neck are slightly different, attempt to find the right foundation that’s in between.
How to Choose Foundation Shade According to Coverage:
- Sheer –This is the lightest coverage for those people who want to just even out their skin tone & have a natural look.
- Medium –These foundations are thicker in consistency and provide some coverage for people with blemishes, discolorations or other minor imperfections.
- Full– This helps erase severe imperfections such as acne scars. Also it’s the best form of foundation to use for photo shoots or for occasions like wedding etc.
- Never apply foundation to un-moisturized skin. If your skin is on the drier side, you’ll also want to exfoliate prior to applying any products.
- Warm the foundation in the palm of your hand, and then sweep it across your face and neck using clean fingers, a foundation brush or a beauty blender.
- When you’re applying foundation, don’t forget about the spot where your jaw line meets your neck! Make sure your face and neck match by blending the foundation into the top of your neck as well.